Sunday, September 20, 2015

Blueberry pie - Mustikka rahkapiirakka

Mustikkarahkapiirakka

This pie uses rahka, a kind of Finnish quark. It is a bit sour like yogurt. I love to use rahka firstly because it is healthy, and secondly its taste can balance the sweetness of the pie but still creamy. The Finnish people like to use rahka in their many desserts. I searched for a while the recipes and chose one from Arla, I think it turned out pretty well. I brought the pie to my friend house and they all like it. The recipe is in Finnish, I tried to translate it into English. Probably it isn’t the best translation but hope to give you the main ideas of how to do it.

Blueberry Luukki Mustikkarahkapiirakka Mustikkarahkapiirakka Luukki woods

Into the woods

Blueberry pie Luukki

In Luukki

Ingredients
Serve 8

For the dough
2 1⁄2 dl flour
100 g butter (I substituted by 72 g margarine)
3⁄4 dl sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder

Filling
1 dl milk
250 g quark (I used 200g)
1 egg
1 dl sugar
1 tsp. vanilla sugar

Topping
2-3 dl fresh blueberry

Directions
1.     Mix the egg, sugar and melted butter/margarine together. Combine the flour and baking powder, and then add into the egg-sugar mixture. Mix the battle evenly. Press the crust to the bottom and the edges of a greased baking dish (24cm).
2.     Mix the filling ingredients until smooth. Pour it over the base. Bake the pie at 200-degree oven for medium level for about 40 minutes. Decorate with fresh blueberries on top of the finished cake.
I added a handful of blueberry into the mixture just before baking.

Tips
To get the pie a festive look, use ordinary blueberries to decorate instead of highbush blueberries.
In my opinion, it would even better to serve with vanilla ice-cream, aren’t blueberry pie and vanilla ice-cream best friends?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...