Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The best shortbread in the world


It was a raining day,

I woke up and felt like to bake something. I have seen this recipe a couple of days ago and decided to make it.

I'm not so much favour in cookies or bread, and would like to make something different. But since I have all the ingredients I need right now, usually I don't have all at once, so I made shortbread.


What I like is that it's a little crisp, a little dissolvable and light when eating. It's not hard like the cookies I sometimes buy in the store. This shortbread is a good one!

Enjoy with a cup of tea and feel wonderful!

Recipe from Jamie Oliver's book: "My guide to making you a better cook"

Ingredients

250g/9oz unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing

125g /4 ½ oz caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling

250g/ 9 oz plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting

125g/ 4 ½ oz semolina or cornflour

Add lemon/ orange zest/ lavender to the dough (optional)

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 150c/ 300F, butter a 22cm /9 inch square tin. Cream your butter and sugar together with a whisk or wooden spoon until pale, light and fluffy. Add the plain flour and semolina or cornflour. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon and then your hand until a smooth dough.

2. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll it our until it’s an even 2 cm/ 1 inch thick all over. Press the rolled out dough into your tin, poking it into the corners with your fingers.

3. Prick the dough all over with a fork, then pop it in the preheated oven for 50min until lightly golden.

4. While it’s still warm, sprinkle with a generous dusting of caster sugar. Allow the shortbread to cool slightly, then cut into 12 chunky finger-sized pieces.

I used lemon zest and semolina

Fun fact: Unrelated. I wore high-heels to take the pictures because of the high kitchen table.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...