Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Ajitsuke tamago

Ajitsuke tamago

After watching the first episode of “The mind of a chef”, I was so intrigued by ramen and really want to taste the real one from Japan. My friend once told me he ate ramen in Helsinki but there is nothing special. I thought it was probably because he didn’t have a chance to taste the authentic one. Restaurants are usually adjusting the flavors in order to suit the taste of local people.

Today I learned to make Ajitsuke tamago in order to make ramen. Thanks to Evan's post with a clear instruction, I was able to make them successfully.

Ajitsuke tamago

However, I did make a little change for the marinade due to the shortage of soy sauce in my home at the moment, and for my taste. Feel free to change what is suitable for you.

And here is the link to Youtube video showing how to make half boiled egg 

Ingredients (makes 3 eggs)
3 room temperature eggs
pot of water enough to cover the eggs completely
a bowl of iced water

For the marinade
1/3 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
3 slices of ginger
1/2 tbsp brown sugar, or to taste
1 tbsp mirin

Directions
1. Bring the pot of water to a bare simmer. Add in eggs and boil for 6 mins. Immediately shock them into the bowl of icy water to prevent the eggs from cooking further. Leave them in the iced water for 5 mins then peel.

2. Combine the soy sauce, water, ginger & sugar and mix well to combine. Pour marinade into a ziplock bag and place the eggs inside to marinate for 1-3 hrs in the fridge. Do not soak them for too long as the whites will turn rubbery. Serve cold.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...